Thursday, July 27, 2006

Ken got a computer job!

Got the call earlier today!

I interviewed for this job last Friday. My first job interview in LA. My first job interview in 7 years! I was incredibly nervous for 24 hours before my appointment. My insides were full of butterflies full of jumping beans full of squirmy worms tied in knots and my head was on another plane of existence entirely. The interview was pleasant, nice people, nice office, but I was not technically impressive which is pretty much par for the course with me in computer interviews. And, lord knows, I'm not the most outgoing, talkative, GET TO KNOW ME! kind of guy.

For me, computer support is very visual - when I'm fixing a computer problem, I'm usually not running down a checklist in my head. I'm getting my cues for what to do next from what I see in front of me. And I do it well. But in an interview situation it's all verbal with few if any visual cues, so I think my brain has trouble translating between the verbal world of the interview and the visual world in my head. I've never had a computer interview where I'm actually sitting in front of a computer showing what I'd do in a given troubleshooting scenario.

So, my resume saved me for sure. [That, and the fact that a good friend of one of the interviewers had referred me - thanks again!] My strongest argument for hiring me is in my resume: I did exactly this kind of work from 1994 through 2004 (5 years with one company, 5 years with another) culminating in a salary of almost 60K. Software has advanced some in the last two years, but computer support is like riding bicycles. There are lots of different styles of bikes just like there are lots of different versions of software and hardware, all you need to do is learn where the controls are; the fundamental skills are the same across the board. Once you're familiar with the controls, you can ride any bike.

Anyway, the important thing here is I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!

And now, just like any hiree, I need to prove my worth on the job. I start Monday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

Favorite Mother-In-Law

Ari Koinuma said...

Yay Ken!!

ari

Anonymous said...

Nice going, Ken!
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hot Dog! Great news! They're lucky to have you!