Baahhhh!
So, guess what, dear readers? I got canned this week from a temp assignment - in the middle of the week, they decided they didn't like me, and my temp agency called and said Wednesday was my last day on that assignment. No one talked to me about anything they were concerned or unhappy about, they just booted me. Which, on one hand, is fine by me, b/c frankly, that gig was BORING - MORE BORING than my boring times on my recent, long-term assignment. But, on the other hand, the booting makes the temp agency and HR dept all worried that I'm unplaceable, don't fit the profile, don't suck up proficiently, you get the idea.
Well, big surprise, I'm not a good suckup. Shit.
However, I got assigned on Thursday to a one-day gig back among the group I used to work for - supporting the SVP Mktg. Which was good, b/c it was familiar faces and I did a good job - his is a semi-busy, important desk. And, they all like me well enough. -- But, even if offered to me (in Fantasy Land), I wouldn't take the job full-time. His phones have to be covered all the time. As such, you can't leave your desk w/o coordinating with another office-mate. Talk about a ball and chain. -- So, that was kind of a redemptive gig for me.
Politically, I recognize the necessity and value of this redemptive gig. Personally, even needing a "redemptive" gig puts such a distaste in my mouth.
Dear readers, thanks for your patience. I just really need to vent. Who likes being told they're fired - even from a gig they don't like? I wonder if this is a sign. You know me and my signs.
When I first starting temping on the lot, I said it was exciting, yet I could "read" a steady undercurrent of fear, paranoia, a lack of morale. Ew. I think I've said in this blog that I'm not a corporate wannabe. Maybe the temping at the studio(s) has served its purpose? Ken had his first computer job interview today. He became a ball of stress over the last 24 hours in anticipation, but the meeting went well. Temping for me has always been a "temporary" activity (duh)...
Maybe I should temp for a different agency? Maybe I should ask (oh no, she's asking something again!) my current agency to place me in non-studio gigs? Maybe I should go out on my own - maybe script consulting again? Out here, there's a bigger pool of writers who can/may pay for consultation, than back in Austin. I am good at it. It's a good way to meet writers...
I'm still applying for full-time gigs - mostly all Assistant gigs of sorts.
Bah.
Baahhhh.
Friday, July 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment