So, like, my day job has been, like, TOTALLY, dominating my weekdays lately. Bummer to the max, geez.
Sorry, had a Valley Girl flashback there, JUST for a moment.
So, yes, our Dinner Party was lovely. Tres intime. A couple people bailed at the last minute, so there were six of us to sit down at the table. Thankfully, our lovely neighbor, Ivy, lent us two of her side chairs for the evening. And, you know what? I really liked them! Even their upholstery mix-matched with our decor in a pleasing - to me - way. Hmm... yes, we gave her chairs back, but I'm hatching a plan to... nah, never mind, I'm just joking.
Can you tell I've had coffee? Black, strong, glorious coffee - courtesy of my barista extraordinaire, Ken. The man makes good Joe.
So, it was really fun to be able to have lengthier-than-a-lunch-hour conversations with our dinner guests. And, yes, Virginia, we used the crystal stemware - yay! I had candles all over, happy happy.
Have extra long weekend, due to July 4th holiday - Paramount is closed on Monday, as well. Yesterday, Saturday, Ken and I were UTTER slugs. Didn't leave house. Didn't leave pajamas. Ate, napped, read, watched multiple, multiple episodes of the last season of Star Trek: Voyager on DVD.
Ken so totally lucked out to meet and marry a girl who likes sci-fi. Ha ha
Today, we're gonna bike over to the Larchmont Farmer's Market to buy some bags of cherries. They're in season, and they're so cheap at the end of the market! Two weeks ago, there, we got a huge bagful for $5.
So, this week, I took off work on Wednesday, b/c a) I had some Lorie-business to attend to, and b) b/c Monday at work, I thought, "I have to get out of here!" My office-mate taught me how to create purchase orders on Monday. It's always good to be more useful to one's customer, but as she explained what data to enter in each block of the online forms, I became painfully aware of this growing hum in my ears. The hum of the DRONE.
Bzzzzzzzzzzz.
So, on Wednesday, I met up with a fellow indie-producer friendly acquaintance, R, for a long lunch chat. We met in NYC last year while both attending the Rough Cuts Lab with our respective indie film projects. It was a delightful reprieve from drone-dum, and I'm happy that we've gotten further acquainted. It was, overall, affirming indie-producer time. I also worked on researching LA screening rental info for our Fall run of "jumping off bridges."
I've also been reading scripts. I think I told you about NY-guy...? Well, we're talking. Taking our time, checking each other out, feeling our way around whether to work together more formally. I like his script a lot. I'm going to read another script he's got, which has been more on his "front burner" recently. I've also started reading Lincoln-guy's stuff. His is a totally different "product" than the NY-guy's script. His piece is for a tv series - different medium, different genre, different everything. It's not my milieu - but, I'm open to supporting him as a fellow artist. He's got a good ear for snappy, smartass dialog - a lot of up-to-the-minute pop culture observations, asides, wisecracks. Very twenty-something GUY, which is what he is. :)
Finally, I've also been developing a better acquaintance with a fellow temp at Paramount, J, who's also a producer-type. I've lent him my DVD copy of "jumping..." to view this weekend. He's been in process for a job with a producer who heads a production company that does low budget ($20 - $30 million) indies that are preferably "socially impactful." Since our film is "socially impactful," I offered it to J to watch. If he gets any ideas for recommending it to someone (with more toys than us) to facilitate a distribution deal, I'm cool with mulling that over. :) Both R and J are "marshall the troops" kinds of producers - as opposed to me, who's more of a marshall-the-package kind of producer. It's good to be meeting and developing friendly relations with guys with these complementary skills. Plus, R really likes sci-fi, and J likes action/adventure.
Well, that seems to be a good stopping point for now...
Sunday, July 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment