Thursday, February 16, 2006

WKRP...

Hey there. I'm sitting at my temp job at a radio station in Los Angeles. I started Tuesday. The station is all-talk and sports. My favorites. The people here are nice. There's a lot of "buddy" and "win win win" phrases that float about among the wide ties and booming guy voices. Kind of like working with several of my own Wojo's.

Got home last night to Gayle's and took a nap. I was SO sleepy! Traffic's been fine, so it hasn't taken me hours and hours to get back and forth, but the level of boredom has been pretty high. Let's say it's a good thing I can alphabetize. :)

I haven't worked in a cube sea for seven+ years. I haven't missed it. Although, it's been interesting to observe office dynamics. Watching "The Office" on tv, I'd forgotten just how accurate it can be in depicting the banalities... Also, one has to slip into this automatic mode - up at 6 a.m., shower, eat, drive, arrive, sit, futz, alphabetize, futz some more, go to bathroom, sit, get something to eat, sit, go to the bathroom, chat with neighbor, futz and alphabetize some more, get parking validated, go to the bathroom, look for leftover newspapers, sit, write a list, write a list of lists, pack up, go, drive home, undress, nap, eat, sleep. Wake up, do over.

And, I don't have a computer in my cube - I'm currently borrowing someone else's.

Where's Dr. Johnny Fever when I need him?

4 comments:

Ken said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ken said...

As a talk radio fan, I can confirm from personal experience that Lorie hates hates hates all talk radio. And sports talk radio is at the bottom of her list of things she's willing to listen to. So a big thank you to Lorie for making this great sacrifice for the team! Rah rah rah! Sis boom bah! GOOOOOOOOOO LL-oooo-rieeeeee!

Anonymous said...

Stay focused...remember the plan.
Take a book.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Having worked in radio for years, there are a lot of fun things you can do.
1. Trip over the commercial cart. That'll screw 'em up for weeks.
2. Switch the logs. That's always fun.
3. Put peanut butter on a microphone.
4. Accidently fart in the booth. Both the smell and the giggling will be hilarious!
5. Set the clocks ahead by two minutes.
6. Set the clocks back by four minutes.
7. Steal a clock.
8. Pretend you were an exotic dancer.
9. Refer to an on-air personality as a "dj".
10. Put masking tape on the floor at the entrance to your cube and ask people to knock before coming in.
11. Decorate your masking tape with little hearts and flowers and ask everyone if they like your new wallpaper.
12. Talk about your brother, the DEA agent.
That's all I can think of now...but I'll try to think of more...
Miss you!