So, today I got up a half-hour before my alarm was set to go off. Yep, that's right - I got up at 6:30 a.m., and I was wakeful. Not a common occurrence for this night owl, but I worked it this morning. AND, I blow-dried my hair, put on mascara, AND a pair of hose. OMIGOD. Putting on pantyhose is basically, torturous, but it IS fun how slippery smooth one's legs and butt become under one's clothes with them on.
My breakfast meeting got switched to lunchtime, so I left Malibu at 8:15 to get up to my 9:30 appointment in Burbank. Got there almost exactly at 9:30. Thankfully, the Santa Ana winds have been blowing the last two days, so all the smog that had been listing in the Valley from last Thursday's test drive has been blown away to God knows where. Without the smog, it's actually pretty over that-a-way.
My appointment took three hours - filled out paperwork, which took just over an hour. Had a sit-down interview with Cindy, and she gave me the rundown on what they do/provide to the industry. We talked about my resume and me a little, my goals and gameplan. Their agency services the major studios and television networks primarily, which is cool by me. Most of their placements are for positions like Executive Assistant. She asked when I was available - next Monday - and said to start phoning/checking in that morning to see if they'd have an assignment for me, and to keep calling every morning afterward...
I'm helping Lisa paint again this Thursday and Friday - plus, there's a Women In Film breakfast in Malibu Friday morning. So, starting (calling in) next Monday is the PLAN. Oh, and while I was there, I also had to do the computer testing on Excel, MS Outlook, MS Word and a typing speed test. I got a whopping 63% correct on my Excel test - yay for my limited, functional ability in creating spreadsheets! And, I got something like 60% correct on MS Outlook, although I've NEVER used it ever before. MS Word, I aced, and lo and behold! I type 60 WPM. I didn't find a section of any of the tests that awarded me points for blow-drying my hair, but really, there should've been. :)
I left the Burbank office to head into LA for my lunch date, and I FORGOT my Thompson Guide (big book of LA street maps). Well, I've learned that the receptionists at the temp agency don't know how to get downtown to Pico Boulevard from Burbank. I ended up going south on 101, looking for an exit for Pico, which is a long East-West boulevard. Needless to say, there is NO Pico exit off the 101. I ended up going south on the 110, then taking the Wilshire Blvd exit, heading west.
Many lights and turns later...I spent A LOT of time driving through Korea Town today. Sigh.
I arrived 30 minutes late for lunch, but happily Julie was able to grab a bite to eat with me after all. We compared wedding proposals and wedding rings (she's getting married in November) and talked about how she ended up living in Van Nuys, where she used to work before Goldwyn, etc. It was fun.
Made my way back to I-10 West toward Santa Monica, stopped for an iced mocha, and came home to Gayle's and played tug-the-bear with Lily, the chihuahua for 10 minutes.
Whew, I'm glad to be out of those hose!
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ok - talk to me about pantyhose again...we have a wedding to go to Saturday...I dug my "wedding" outfit out (shook the dust off) and in order to look presentable it requires pantyhose - OMIGOD - can I do it????? What does it feel like??? Can I get my money back???? I rather be parked somewhere in the MOHO.
Love,
Mom
Lorie - hose are much easier to put on when you shave your legs. Not that I ever wear hose...but I remember when.... (yes, it's hard to believe.) Look for women in film I may know.
Post a Comment