Sunday, September 09, 2007

Movie review

Ken held down the fort today with our Little Shmoo, so I could go to the movies with my friend, Sara. Thank you, Ken!

We saw "3:10 to Yuma" and "Stardust." The latter just couldn't compete with the former for overall satisfaction.

I left "Yuma" with that wistful, sad-happy feeling -- where you finally, reluctantly get up to leave the theater after the film, though you're not quite ready to leave its "world," yet. I wanted to sit down somewhere and replay scenes from it over and over in my head. Christian Bale's face has a haunting quality. It's all angular and handsome without being too pretty. It's a terrific tableau upon which to watch his/his character's emotions and unspoken thoughts canvas across. And, Russell, well, he's Mr. Charismatic. His character isn't cuddly, but he is charming; and, he's a killer, but not without surprises. One totally can appreciate how his gang comes to follow him so loyally.

"Stardust" was cute, and fun - but, I thought it's pacing was uneven. And, its execution didn't live up to how well the script read to me when I read it at Paramount months and months and months ago. Cute just couldn't compete with wistful, man-that-was-a-good mano a mano action/character piece movie today.

Now it's time to take my ate-too-much-popcorn-and-now-I-feel-all-bloaty self to bed. :)

No comments: