Monday, February 26, 2007

Feeling spacy, blah, kinda weak and tired today. At same temp gig as last week - it's been extended through this week.

Got the call last night that my cousin, Chauntall, had her baby yesterday! We spoke Thursday, and she was dismayed b/c the doctor had told her there was "no movement" indicating impending delivery. And, lo and behold! Labor started late, late Saturday, I believe, and culminated in the birth of my new second cousin, Myla, Sunday early p.m. -- which, ironically, was her due date. Yay for Chauntall and Paul!

Chauntall and I used to make tent cities in her basement when we were children. She has the best giggle - it's infectious.

Saturday was my baby shower/blessing way. All in all, it was a lovely afternoon, though I was kind of sweating things out a bit for the first hour. A couple local friends had to cancel at the last moment and/or spaced the date and/or had to come late, and I worried about the prep that Lisa and Tracy had gone through for the brunch... but, things turned out fine, and things were out of my hands anyway. Yummy food, good company. Ken went with me, and we got to see and catch up a bit with his Aunt Gayle (Tracy's mom), who had heart surgery back in November. She looked vibrant and spritely, per her usual spitfire self. Ken took some photos; he'll post them soon.

I didn't get hardly any beads, charms for the blessing way from invitees. Maybe the concept is just too foreign/weird/unfamiliar for people...? Maybe its meaning got lost in the invitation? Maybe I had too much hope that this alternative would make me feel less isolated out here. Since it turns out I've moved away from everyone that I feel close to, I thought the send-a-bead thing could be a fairly easy, direct way to feel some connection with them during this big change/passage in my life. I knew people couldn't fly to CA. for a shower; I even debated whether to take Lisa and Tracy up on their gracious offer to hostess a party for me. I figured putting a bead and a note in the mail might be more "do-able." But, it hasn't panned out that way. Oh well.

SUBJECT CHANGE: Everyone, please think positive thoughts for my mom! A pinched nerve in her back has sidelined her in a big way, preventing her from flying this past weekend. I can tell in her voice, that the help she's sought for the malady and pain is already beginning to make a positive difference, but all your happy thoughts can only help more. :)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Jsut so you know, there's a box that may come today, from Kat and I. UPS is not so speedy. Anyway, we were both there in spirit. And, we didn't get the bead thing..but we did get the blessing thing.
Sending sweet, tender, loving blessing to you and Ken and a special bunch of welcoming blessings to dear Audrey.
Love,
Stacy