Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Eleven weeks in

And, so, dear readers, I am pregnant.

I'd planned to not write about our impending Huge Life Change for a few more weeks, until I'd cleared my first trimester. But, damn, being pregnant takes up a fair amount of brain space - I've had urges to write stuff in the blog, but it's been pregnancy-related, so I've kept mum.

I've had enough of mumness. There's just too much shit flying around my brain to keep it quiet anymore, and writing in this blog is a welcome valve for me.

The details: due in the first week of April. I've had morning sickness, but it's abated the last couple weeks, thankfully. Still have unsteady moments, though. But, no active yakking lately. :)

Ken and I have chosen a midwife to work with - her name is Tonya, and she's delivered 6,000 babies over her career. We currently plan to deliver at her Natural Birthing Center in Sherman Oaks. Long story short, we prefer her philosophy and "vibe" over the traditional OB doctors we've met. Plus, another long story short, my insurance doesn't cover maternity (unless I'm threatened with imminent death by a narrowly defined set of pregnancy complications), so if we're going to be paying cash, we prefer paying it to someone we feel is partnering with us - not someone who has a more "conveyor belt" mentality and expects insurance to pay for all sorts of extras.

Tonight, we attended our first birthing class with Tonya. There are 8 classes, total, every Tuesday evening. We were told to just jump in - tonight's class was number 7 of the 8 - and, just cycle through 1 - 6 on the flipside. It was informative, and I'm saturated, and rather freaked out. Tonight was all about the newborn at delivery. It was not my druthers to start off classes of any sort with the requisite birth video, but guess what? Tonight was the night for the birth video. Sigh.

I really didn't need to see that tonight. That's just a little bit TOO MUCH INFO for me to digest well at the moment. I mean, I'm not showing. In fact, I've lost weight - like six pounds - since peeing on a stick confirmed something was up. My boobs are YOW! sensitive, and I'm looking pretty damn voluptuous, but that's about it so far.

Two-thirds of the other couples are farther along in their pregnancies than us. And, are thus, bigger than me. So, between the birth video (in Dutch, no less) and being surrounded by fully preggers peers, I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. In only a relatively short while, I, too, will feel my abdomen resting on my thighs while sitting.

Freak-o.

I'm definitely looking forward to the "honeymoon" second-trimester phase I've read about. The one where I don't feel like sleeping all day, have an appetite again, and sigh over baby booties and onesies (I honestly don't see myself swooning over any baby products - at least, not until Junior is actually out and about).

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I'll probably log in more often than lately.

Next posting, baby names.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not Junior....Spike!!!

Love, Mom