Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sweet Doomsday

Watched two movies this weekend that couldn't have been any different from one another, and both were good for what they are. Saturday night, we watched our Netflix delivery of the MN-shot and story-set-in-1920s-rural-MN indie film, "Sweet Land."

I really liked it; not one false note in it. Kept my interest in the story and characters, and it was beautifully shot. Ultimately, it's a love story between a Norwegian-immigrant farmer and his sent-by-the-relatives, mail-order wife from the old country. Unlike a lot of similarly storied Hallmark Hall of Fame tv movies, this one really did manage to pull off being cinematic. I highly recommend it if you're in the mood for a satisfying date movie with your Honey.

In contrast, today for our afternoon date sans Audrey (friends Jeri and Charles, and their daughter, Sarah, spent the afternoon with The Shmoo), Ken and I went to see "Doomsday." I thought it was really well done for a post-apocalyptic, things-blow-up, bad-ass-lead-hero(ine)-saves-the-day-with-stoic-cynicism-and-one-liners-movie. Not soul-shifting, life-affirming ART. Just lots of stuff that went Boom! and a hot lead actress who shoots guns and dispatches bad guys with nonchalant efficiency. It had bits of lots of other movies in it, from "28 Days Later" to "Escape From New York," to "Mad Max," and more. Ridiculous, but a hoot.

Audrey will be 11 months old tomorrow. Just one more month until her first birthday - yow!

So far, March is teasing us with higher temperatures and melting snow. It makes me itch to pull out her lighter-weight clothing! But, it's too early, I know.

She's begun feeding herself with a spoon. She can't put food on it with any accuracy, but if I load it up, she'll shovel it in unassisted. That's our baby!

Well, I've got some work-related reading and writing to get to, so I'd better go. Ken is channel-surfing, and it threatens to make me Lose My Mind...

No comments: