I didn't expect to feel my stomach in knots at the screening, but it was. I think there were maybe 100 (?) people there, and I saw many familiar faces which made me feel happy and grateful.
Our main adult actor, Michael Emerson (who played the dad in the movie), and his lovely wife, Carrie, came to the screening, too. That was a kick -- the audience really love his performance, and it's a treat to see people approach him with praise and appreciation. Plus, he's a genuinely nice guy. I'm glad he got to come to the screening before heading back to Hawaii to continue shooting "Lost" (he plays Ben (aka "Henry Gale"), the leader of The Others).
This was a cut of the movie, the final version, that I had not seen before. Kat and Stacy and our editor cut nearly 10 minutes off the version some of you have seen, the festival version. I like this edit very much - some scenes deleted, some added, some shortened. The theater space was gorgeous, and the panel afterward was gratifying.
(left to right) 5 experts from the Di Di Hirsch Suicide Prevention Center, Kat, Michael, Stacy, and Lorie is the red splotch standing under the bright exit sign splotch on the right side - guess my camera doesn't handle low light situations well:

There were many people on the panel and in the audience who found the movie cathartic, authentic, and moving -- that's quite a gratifying response as one of its producers. I'm glad it spoke to those people, and that they shared what they liked about the movie.
The theater from across Wilshire Blvd:

"Boycott" is another movie, not a directive!

Di Di Hirsch SPC setup a table in the lobby:

(left to right) Kat, Lorie, Stacy before the screening (consarnit camera!):

Afterward, a group of us met up at the Farmer's Market to nosh and kibbitz. I met some new people, fellow LA folks as it turns out, and that was fun. We exchanged contact info. Though driving to the Farmer's Market (the Grove - outdoor shopping area/destination) was, predictably, a pain in the ass -- traffic was backed up on Fairfax the entire way. Argh.
Back home now, settling in for the evening. I have a new temp gig that starts tomorrow - as an Admin Asst at some sort of non-profit. The gig's supposed to go until potentially Dec. 8th. If it does, it'll pay for two months of my exorbitant health insurance premium ($500/month) and our flights back to DC for Christmastime, which is a good thing. Speaking of insurance, Ken found out that we can cover the baby under his policy once she's born. Also, we can try to add me, too, after the birth, now that we live in CA. (different rules or something from Texas).
No comments:
Post a Comment