Tuesday, October 17, 2006

In the words of Steve Martin, "Pure Drivel"

Feel like writing something, but don't know what to say.

That brief phrase neatly sums up how I feel about my creative writing skills! I have boxes and files of old letters, notebooks, loose pieces of paper and cardboard even, with snippets of conversations, story ideas, plot outlines, you name it. And, when I sit down to invite the Muse to join me, she plays hard to get. And, I have impatient courting skills.

Went to the bookstore the other day to check out anthologies of essays and short stories. I thought, perhaps, those forms might beckon me, inspire me. I found that the concept of a short story is more appealing to me than actually slogging through reading one. Aren't I lame? Essays, on the other hand, spoke to me more, but I'm back to the same stall - what to write about?

Well, this is progress. I've written two paragraphs on "not knowing what to write about." Ha.

I'm off to another birth class this evening. Tonight's subject is supposed to be prenatal diet and nutrition. Let's hope there's not ANOTHER birth video. Yeesh.

No comments: