Friday, January 27, 2006

Ken Returns To Austin - Hooray For Public Transit!

I flew back to Austin's airport tonight. The plane rides were their usual special form of hell, but I must say from the airport to home I had the best public bus experience anyone could hope to have!

Within 60 seconds after getting to the bus stop outside baggage claim, the airport-to-downtown bus arrived, saving me from what could have been a 30 minute wait. Once aboard, I discovered a box full of the latest bus schedule books, so during the ride I was able to determine which bus goes closest to my house and plan where to pick it up downtown. Most of the time, busses don't carry these annual schedule books, so this was quite lucky. As we neared my transfer point, the driver made an unscheduled stop just for me so I only had to walk a block to wait for my next bus. Did I mention the weather was perfect and this is my favorite part of downtown? Well, either the next bus was a little late or a lot early, but either way I was pleasantly suprised it pulled up only a few minutes after I sat down. A short ride later I was on foot again for the final 1.5 blocks to my house. Total time from airport to home: about 30 minutes. Total cost: 50 cents. Fantastic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating account! Not to be picky, but the plural of "bus" is "buses". "Busses" are Kisses!

Ken said...

Guest eye butter ewes spool chit moore affen.