Tuesday, April 29, 2008

MN IFP Producers Conference 08

Briefly, had a GREAT weekend being a panelist at the IFP MN Ninth Annual Producers Conference last weekend.

Ken was the Peach he is and took care of Audrey all day Friday and Saturday so that I could go be my Producer self.

Highlights include:

Meeting and co-paneling with two LA-based film sales guys, Dan and David. It was so fun to me to be able to talk about movies not only creatively and artistically, but business-ally, too. Dan's been in sales business the last 10+ years, and David's been in it the last 30+. It was fun hearing them talk about the backend details of distributing many well-known films like My Big Fat Greek Wedding (David), Monster (Dan and David, both), and more currently The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. And, we all really appreciated the opportunity to talk to indie filmmakers, many to be first-timers, about the importance of anticipating and prepping for the endgame of their movies. After it's made, how will it find and reach its audience?

Listening to and critiquing 16 pitches from advanced screenwriting students on Friday afternoon. The three of us joked about the American Idol aspect of our efforts. Of course, I was designated as Paula.

Heard a pitch I personally liked. Am following up to read that script, myself. Also, without naming student names or titles, another one of the pitches stood out for the fact that the writer went into great detail about his sci-fi script, including the graphic genesis of his heroine. Suffice it to say, we referred to that pitch the rest of the weekend as the Vagina Sphere pitch.

Hilarious.

Was so tired by Saturday afternoon, could barely string words together intelligently anymore. Came home for a nap, and met group out at dinner at a Minneapolis Thai restaurant.

On both Friday and Saturday nights, organizers took the group out to FANTASTIC dinners. Now, you all know how much I love eating out. Damn, I was in heaven. Friday night, I had fantastic steak and other goodies at the Red Stag Supper Club in NE Minneapolis. Saturday night, had fantastic curries and noodles at The King and I Thai restaurant in downtown Minneapolis.

The Foodie in me rejoiced.

Plus, they both served mucho tasty martinis. Damn. :)

Talked so much about so many interesting things, came home hoarse.

I feel fired up.

Meeting with a filmmaker client today for a coaching session. That fires me up, too!

Gotta go shower now. I don't think Bed Head makes a sufficiently professional impression.

Oh, and one last thing. Met a great attorney/dealmaker woman, Christy, too, this weekend. She's a partner in a Minneapolis entertainment law firm and Board member of IFP MN. AND, she knows our good friend, Gail March, from her 17 years at Columbia Tri-Star in Business Affairs.

Small world, huh?

1 comment:

abc said...

sounds fun! and right up your alley. I hope you get to do more of that stuff so you can be creatively fulfilled. More of Lorie's alley!