Monday, February 04, 2008

Feel like writing - oncoming drivel, watch out!

I liked Land of Fat-Assed Mosquitoes. Hell, mosquitoes are commonly referred to as "birds" around here. If a mosquito is considered bird-sized, I think FAT-ASSED fits. I'm not currently inspired to change the label above, though. Maybe later.

I've lost two pounds and, it seems, nearly a couple percentage points of body fat (my Body Mass Index score). I need to go even more often, but it's encouraging that the huffing, puffing, and arm-flailing that I'm doing at the gym seems to be having a positive effect.

Can't tell you what I've been doing, but my brain's been so preoccupied and murky the last many days. Having stress dreams -- being chased while being naked, those sorts. Having to pee in a toilet that's in the middle of a party... And, I can't remember the details, but I think there's definitely been a recurrent sci-fi theme to these dreams. Like, they're all set in space, or underground cities, or post-apocalyptic warehouses, etc. I'm not under fear of death in these dreams, just tense, stressed. Sigh. I suppose I'm just weird. Or, I'm supposed to write a post-apocalyptic, sci-fi thriller where the heroine is tortured by multiple instances of public toilet-business.

Audrey's great. She's pulling up, standing, crouching, climbing, taking assisted steps - a LOT. Her balance is noticeably improved, and it's fun watching her be so excited with these new abilities. She's also big on pulling things out of trash cans, boxes, toy buckets and pulling things off shelves. Pulling all her board books off the shelf is quite fun for her these days. I know, I know, I need to break out the video...

Our friends, Jeri and Charles and their two kids, babysat Audrey all afternoon this past Sunday. They said she was great, only cried a couple minutes when we left. Ken and I focused on being spontaneous. We went to our favorite pho restaurant, then drove willy-nilly through downtown St. Paul and past the now-melting ice sculptures from last weekend's Winter Carnival. Then, we drove down to a Minneapolis suburb called Bloomington, to check out some of its neighborhoods.

Didn't like them.

Spontaneously visited IKEA on the way back east, because it was there. Ate mediocre food at a cafe that's a local favorite (people don't know good food around here!), and then drove back north to pick up The Shmoo.

That was our first alone-time date in at least 7 months. Woo hoo! We know how to stoke the romance, don't we? Ha ha.

No comments: