Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ken Checks In

What with all the moving and settling (and moving and settling again!) and holidays, and a little bout with isolation-induced depression, etc, I didn't start my job search in earnest until early January. But even without trying I got a temp job in December thanks to our neighbor in the apartment building we lived in the first three months here. So I've been supporting the systems and users at Metropolitan State University's computer lab. It's fun and everyone's very nice. Mostly women work at the library and at my help desk which is fine with me. I enjoy their reactions when I show off portraits of Audrey that Lorie just had made. "Oooooh, she's sooooo cute! How beautiful! She looks a lot like you! Was she crying in this picture? Oh that's sweet! So she's 9 months old? Just the two teeth so far? What a darling!" And on and on. The few men I've shown Audrey's pictures to respond with a respectful, "Cute," or just an approving grunt - to be expected, but not nearly as satisfying!

And there are rumors of an imminent opening in the university's IT department, which I am monitoring closely. Already got my foot in the door, so to speak. Otherwise, my job search is producing some promising contacts and interviews, but nothing definitive to report yet. You'll be the first to know, dear blog.

Oh, and at the urging of a friend I changed the title of the blog to something more positive than fat-assed mosquitos. Besides, we arrived here in late Fall and I haven't even seen a mosquito much less a fat-assed one. Is the new title too sappy? Lorie doesn't like it. Perhaps she'll change it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boo! We know you love us. Go back to Fat-Assed Mosquitos!
Greg