Sunday, November 11, 2007

Ketchin' up with Ken

I've pretty much recovered from that third slap in the face from Microsoft. For now I've decided to postpone getting the MCSE and just concentrate on getting work. I've LEARNED enough, just can't PASS the friggin exam!

On Friday I had a very nice interview with Teksystems, a "staff augmentation" company. Not a temp company. John, the guy who interviewed me, was very clear about that. As far as I could tell, the only difference is Teksystems usually gets their people longer assignments, not just a few days. So, I could be on my first assignment as early as this week. I want to "augment" for a while, working at different places around the metro area to get more familiar with the employment scene here. John said it's a good market for IT people right now, so that was good news. Until he said that, I had no idea what the market was like.

On another note, last Wednesday I volunteered at a local Boys and Girls Club playing boardgames with caffeine and sugar-fueled ten year olds until about 8pm. I thought it would be a fun activity to take my mind off the exam I had just failed earlier that day. I heard about the opportunity from a boardgame group I joined online. One of their regular activities is to volunteer at the B&G Club every Wednesday night, and since I'm no longer studying I could finally attend. It was fun! I played Connect Four all evening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Board games, eh? Next time you're in town with a few hours on your hands, Panzer Blitz awaits. Or Waterloo. Your call.
Greg

Ken said...

I'm there! I still think about that Formula One game we played on the back porch. That was a lot of fun! We have to have a serious marathon gaming session next visit!