Sunday, July 15, 2007

Boobs- the final installment

And, hopefully, a FINAL entry about the dramas of breast feeding:

Called lactation folks today about weaning pointers. Ironically, talking with them gave me hope that I'll keep just a couple nursing sessions per day - the wee hours of the morning one(s) and maybe one in the evening. I actually like the wee hours one(s) - even when it's been painful. There's been something primitive, primal - quiet and still that I like about those sessions. I'd like to keep them in the picture a while longer. I'd been told I needed to keep up with so many sessions per day to keep my milk supply, but lactation lady today said she knows moms who just nurse in the a.m. and p.m. around their day jobs, with their babies being fed formula from bottles all the rest of each day. So, if I "show up," the milk should continue to show up, too - even if it's only a couple times per day. That info takes a lot of pressure off the decision for me.

So, as of this week, I aim to make daytimes "boob free." Save the nipples, no boob action between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. (or thereabouts)! And, once I wean us both to only a few sessions per day, I'll evaluate whether to go completely 100% off nursing after that (in the meantime, I'm weaning us both anyway).

And, yes, Mom and Jackie, I'll contact the doctor about a prescription for boob-drying-upping before we leave, just in case...

Thanks for "listening," everybody.

No comments: