Monday, January 08, 2007

Arts and Letters

Ken and I met up with Tracy and Lisa yesterday at LACMA (LA Contemporary Museum of Art), which is adjacent to the La Brea Tar Pits. Ken had a quick reminiscence about the time he went to the Tar Pits with his Uncle Jim, about a million years ago. We stood there together at the fence, watching the slick, oily surface for bubbles that gurgle up and then disappear. The pits smell like, surprise, tar. I found it an odd juxtaposition - prehistoric pools of goop, smack dab in the middle of hi-rises and traffic.

Tracy and Lisa wanted to see the Magritte exhibit, and Ken and I, well, we just wanted to get out of the apartment. They have season passes, so they let us "borrow" their exhibition tix after they viewed it. Magritte's the artist who painted the Dude in the Bowler Hat, among other things. I'm sure that statement would make arty purists roll their eyes, but hey, that's the work of his that's most iconic to me. I'm glad we didn't spend $15 apiece to get into the exhibit. What's so inspiring about a bronzed inflatable raft in the middle of the floor? Or, three bold lines of color on a huge canvas? I can paint that.

I am glad we went (good people-watching and good company); though, as you probably surmise, most "modern art" does NOT speak to me in any pleasurable or meaningful way. I mean, I can appreciate the bold departure of Picasso, especially within the spectrum of his peers and the artists/trends that preceded him. But, I don't want to spend lots of time with his images - generally, they bum me out. Chagall, on the other hand, at least has a sense of whimsy I can enjoy...

And, that was Art Moment with Lorie.

I'm temping at the Writers Guild for the next few days. The people are nice, but it's vewwy, vewwy quiet (in the words of Elmer Fudd).

My supposed-to-be-comfortable Dansko shoes have given me blisters. That's my excitement for the day.

And, that was Career Moment with Lorie.

No comments: