Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Good news and bad news

The good news is we found a good Vietnamese pho restaurant today, and it's not very far from our apartment.

The bad news is that my car's been stolen.

No, I'm not kidding. Would that I were.

I find it supremely ironic that Ken and I moved here to raise Audrey in a more "wholesome" environment, and last night or this morning, some wholesome St. Paulian hoodlums made off with my '96 Honda Civic.

Mr. Cop said that old Hondas are the most popular vehicles to be stolen around here (I've heard that in D.C., too). The thieves are also known to have master keys to simply and quietly open locked car doors, which ours were. Buicks and Chevys are the next most popular. He said that they'll likely find our car within a couple weeks, if not sooner, probably abandoned in an alley. But, it may be stripped completely...?

To add to the fun, the Honda still had some items in it from our storage container, including two file bins with ALL our important files, past taxes, etc. in the trunk. Yesterday, we went to the storage facility to get some needed items and loaded them up in the POURING RAIN with SCREAMING HYSTERICAL AUDREY in the back seat. Mr. Cop said the thieves would likely ignore items in the car and trunk, but we've canceled all our credit cards, etc. this afternoon.

Pretty damn mind boggling. After all the places all over the country that we've driven that car and/or lived with that car, this is where we were parted from it by criminals?

Don't know, yet, what exactly we'll do next. Will talk with insurance claims person tomorrow re: details; they've been alerted to the police report, but the details person didn't contact me before their close of business today. But, really, I think I'd want another Honda for a car, their hybrid. And, do I really want to get another one while we're still living in this neighborhood and only have access to street parking...!?!?

I can just hear the hoodlums now, "Sweeet, another one!"

3 comments:

abc said...

oh my god (as dulcie would say). That sucks so much! this sounds like our life your living.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your car! Dang!!

It's SO great that you're hooked up with Dana and Carlo, as they know where all the good food can be had. We ate some of the best Greek food I've ever had there, among others. We came home VERY well fed.

Anonymous said...

You DO have GEICO insurance, right?
Greg