Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Elf Update 11/12/08

I've been working at Beka for one month now and I love it! It's very satisfying work. And with unemployment the highest it's been in 14 years I'm happy to have any job! Last week on Monday they started me full time and bumped up my pay to what they had originally advertised the job at. I guess I should explain that: over a month ago I responded to their full time want ad, but the economy was tanking so they told me they weren't hiring anybody. I went back a week later and offered to VOLUNTEER there just to get wood shop experience! That perked up the owner's ears and he "hired" me part time on the spot but insisted on paying me something for administrative reasons. OK by me! So my first three weeks there were part time in the afternoons. By Monday of last week they decided I and the economy were good enough to warrant full time at the regular pay rate. I'm amused that this job went from there to not there to unpaid to part time underpaid to full time regular pay!

Thankfully they've moved me off the tedious noisy dusty and slightly dangerous grunt work like cutting up long boards into shorter boards or drilling the same hole in 50 pieces or rounding the corners off countless blocks on a table router. Lately I've been doing more skilled labor like assembling and boxing easels, theaters, and garages (which are sold by a different company called Back To Basics). It's detail oriented and methodical work which suits me quite well. Plus in these quieter assembly areas we listen to good music or NPR on the radio. Everyone is very nice at Beka. I'm making myself as indispensable as possible with the hopes that they keep me on past the Christmas rush.

So much more in my head, but it's late and Audrey got us up at 1am today crying and throwing up. I took a short nap after work which I never do. Lorie's even more tired since she's been dealing with Audrey's illness all day.

Oh, and I have a cold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

So glad to hear you're enjoying your job. And you mean *M*PR, right?

;-)

ari

Ken said...

I guess to be precise I should say we sometimes listen to the local Minnesota Public Radio station which sometimes broadcasts programs created by National Public Radio?

Anonymous said...

Good for you, bro! Like I keep telling your brother, just get in the door somewhere and prove your value. Like many of the finer things in life, we Marshes can't be fully appreciated on first exposure, but we grow on you.
Greg