- Design and sell expandable/retractable, multi-purpose furniture for small spaces.
Lord knows, I've lived in several small spaces over the last 9 years. And, each time I move into one, I search and shop for furniture pieces that'll work in the space I have, yet will accommodate the functionality(ies) I want. Case in point, I'd like to have six to eight people over for a sit-down dinner. But, I've tended to live in spaces that haven't had dining rooms.
Yes, this has posed a problem.
But, I've usually had other space I could use (by moving furniture around, or into another room) to accommodate a larger table for a dinner, just for a day or an evening, say. And, I've wished I could find a table that would do for my everyday needs, yet would expand sufficiently for a larger group. I know I'm not even addressing the need/space considerations of additional seating here, and I know there are folding tables one can buy from office supply stores (though, I haven't had storage space to keep one around), but let's just stick with the table idea for the moment. Why can't someone design and sell a table that can seat two, yet unfolds/expands to accommodate six or eight people? It could have a pedestal base that would expand, and leaves that unfold or unstack to assemble into a larger dining surface...
For that matter, Ken and I both have had ideas for modular furniture: cushioned cubes/ottomans with storage that could be interlocked together to make a daybed for a guest, for instance. Add in my infatuation with power tools and woodworking, and there could be a heady potential here!
- Become a Personal Organizer.
I hanged out today with my friend Jeanne, who told me there is an organization called the National Association of Organizers. One can actually become certified to go in and organize other people's stuff. Cool.
- Be a professional artist/photographer.
I keep hunting for art/artists that "speak to me." Both in canvas and in photography. It's not been a systematic, exhaustive search, but it's been over many years. I like this painter's work very much, which makes me happy. And, I like reading her blog. But, the last time I remember seeing a painting in a gallery that made me go, "whoa, I wish I could take that home" was in Paris almost 7 years ago. Of course, it cost something like $9,500, too. Yikes. But, I still think about it. I still roll my eyes all over it, savoring its details from memory.
I do the same thing with a painting I saw in a gallery in Sedona, AZ. even longer ago. It was $6,000. And, it was acrylic instead of oil, which I usually don't cotton to; but, it spoke to me. I didn't think I'd get tired of looking at it, finding new things in it. To boot, it depicted ocean waves crashing on a cliff outcropping -- and, I don't vibe to ocean scenes usually at all. But, this one depicted a spot on the Normandy coast of France, and I've visited there - that spot. It was a magical experience; I liked being reminded of it.
So, I think, maybe I need to make my own art...?
- Be a published author. Go on a book tour.
I like travel. I love bookstores. I admire writers. What's not to like?
- Do all of the above, and still bake cookies, pies and cakes with Audrey. Revel in Play-doh when the time comes. Do somersaults and eventually, cartwheels together. Visit our friends and family in CA, NV, AZ, TX, CO, MD, and IL at least once every year!
I can't believe it's pushing midnight. Gotta sign off, go to bed. XO
No comments:
Post a Comment