I'd like to congratulate my nephew, Zak Marsh, for graduating high school last weekend. Yow! Zak was the first family member of Ken's whom I met. Zak tagged along in the car with Ken as he picked me up for our second, official date, dinner together at his parents' house for Father's Day. I remember this 6-year-old ball of energy with a mop of thick, black hair and a smile as wide as his face bouncing around the back seat. He was all talk and questions. I liked how he liked words so much. Damn, and now he's out of high school! Holy moly.
In other news, we closed on our Austin house last week. The transaction is all final and everything. So, what did we do with our wads of dough? That's right, we went out to dinner! Campanile is the restaurant I chose, and yow, did I do good. :) The restaurant inhabits the building that Charlie Chaplin built for his offices/company years in the 1920s. It has Spanish arches, cobblestone (or tile?) floors, and now a glass roof over the central courtyard with fountain, so the ambience is lovely. We had a bottle of sublime grenache red wine, fried green tomatoes appetizer, and seared prime rib entrees. Oh, I'm killin' myself just describing it again! Desserts were an apple pie thingie for Ken, and chocolate bread pudding with sour cherries for me.
Sigh.
We also bought a sectional sofa yesterday.
The hunt for living room seating is over! I know you're all as relieved as I am. Now, we're gnashing our teeth a bit over whether the cats will easily destroy the upholstery that we chose, but you know what...? I don't care - I'm done. No more fabric swatches! No more trolling the Internet for stores, sales, specials, consignment stores, used furniture. No more driving to the near and far corners of the LA metro area. No more - finito! I'll go to Petco and buy every cat scratcher thingie they sell, but I'm not changing my mind about the dratted upholstery.
ON Writing Guy - still haven't read his stuff, but Ken is now working (for pay) on his computer.
Tootles for now
Monday, June 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, Zak's a pistol, all right. He still likes words, so much so that he intends to be a high school English teacher when he grows up. You knew he got into acting this past school year, yes? Got plucked out of the hall at school and asked to play the quite substantial part of Don Pedro in Much Ado About Nothing. Worked his butt off (the troupe had already been rehearsing the play for a couple of weeks when the original Don Pedro moved out of state), won the hearts and minds of the other actors, and became a Theater Person. Tomorrow, he's off to the University of Maryland for a few days; it's the state theater competition, and Blake High School entered Much Ado ... so Don Pedro rides again! They perform Wednesday, and attend various theater workshops the other two or three days they're there. Big fun.
Post a Comment